Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Seashore- A Unit Study



July 7, 2013 
What better way to learn than walking along the shoreline, while waves lap at your feet and the sun warms your skin? I can't think of a better way, or a more relaxed learning environment! All senses are engaged while standing on the shoreline. I love to feel the gentle breeze, the warmth of the sun, the sand and the cool water; the scents of the ocean and sunscreen. I feel comforted by the sounds of the waves crashing, and seagulls’ cries. The sight of the vast sea, ships on the horizon and dolphins playing bring me joy and remind me how small I am on this earth. The taste of salt is always present while relaxing by the shore. 


  The seashore is a favorite place for me to teach my children. It is a Charlotte Mason nature study at its best! The book Hello Ocean brings you on a journey to the seashore, focusing on every sense. It’s a perfect book to use as a tool for both a unit on the senses and the ocean. Homeschool Share offers a free lapbook that you can print and create based on the book. 

 Here are a few photos from our Hello Ocean lapbook....







 





Here are some of our favorite books that go along with this theme....
















...and a few we will add to our summer book basket this year...





 
{Since creating this post we have checked this one out 
from the library and loved it so much we bought it! Another favorite!}
















Another great set of resources from Homeschool Share, based on the ocean unit theme can be found here

I hope you enjoy your seashore study~

God bless, 
Jen

 


No comments:

Post a Comment