Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Secret Garden

April 8, 2013
My third grader and I are part of a book club with our homeschool group and last week we discussed The Secret Garden. Each month we discuss the book, do a craft and have a snack that relates to the theme of the book. This has been so much fun for us! One of my older daughters and I were also part of a book club with another homeschool group we are part of and I am really enjoying carrying on this fun activity with my younger one. I hope to continue when my youngest is this age. There are so many things you can pull from the classics to create an entire unit study.

For The Secret Garden we painted clay pots and ate scones. The last time we covered this book we made hot tea for the children who wanted some. This time we kept it simple and drank lemonade and juice! But I think the kids really enjoyed the scones. We sent them home with seeds to plant in their pot. Here are a few pictures...

We added a key to each pot to represent the key Mary found to the hidden garden.
(I found the keys in the scrapbook section of Michaels)


We offered the kids different stencils to use and lots of patio paint for clay pots.




 The key!




And of course, the scones!!

Some ideas if you want to create a unit study for The Secret Garden:
Geography-India, England
Science- Flowers, plants, gardens
Home Economics- Study and make foods from England
History- Study the late 1800's/early 1900's, when this book took place
These are just a few ideas to get you started! Have fun!
Jen







No comments:

Post a Comment